Back to forum.dofus.com

No flash

Solar, and Possibly Others, English Server, eh?
Former Subscriber Dreggon Breaker
* * Member Since 2008-07-15
posté November 27, 2012, 22:25:48 | #1
Solar, and Possibly Others Let me start by saying nothing said in this topic is meant to be seen as racist, i'm not trying to start discriminate arguments nor do I want to encourage anyone responding to this topic to feel offended or attempt to offend another by their nationality.

I've played on Solar since a week after its opening, after playing on Rushu for roughly a year. Although I can't remember back to Rushu that vividly, I remember from the start of Solar getting those little, red messages warning the people of the server it was an English speaking server and other languages will not be tolerated. These messages have, since that time, stopped appearing in my chat box.

I am aware that Solar, along with other English speaking servers is international. One of my best friends on this game, infact, is from India. I love talking about the random stuff in daily lives, that are different between our two countries. I love the server being international... assuming I can speak to the people. I come across people, more often that not, on a daily basis that the only English they know is "Noob", "F*** u" and other, random insults. I was attempting to buy an Ochre earlier after seeing his message on trade channel, and he didn't speak a word of English. What fun is an MMORPG when you can't communicate to people because they're busy trash talking you in another language? I can tolerate a little amount of English, but those who don't speak any is, in my opinion, intolerable.

I'm putting this topic up to see if anyone agrees with me in my view on this matter, and to help discuss solutions if you feel that it is an issue. Here are a few I brain stormed with many members I know across Solar:

~Make a separate server for the language (Its mostly Turkish speaking people) and since Solar isn't the highest populated server and this would take a massive hit to our population, merge us with another "English speaking" server, such as Zato.

~Mute those whom the only English they know embarrassing insults, enforce punishments if it continues.

~Create some sort of translator, possibly incorporating a tool such as Google translate?... (I know that'd most likely be a programming nightmare)

Thank you for taking your time to read this topic, and possibly post your opinion on the matter. Please refrain from making racist comments, using specific examples. Instead, lets try and figure out a possible solution to make both parties happy.

~Jki & Random inc.

Unofficial Forum Answer Bot Count Harebourg Clocker
* * * * * * Member Since 2006-02-21
posté November 27, 2012, 22:37:15 | #2
I wouldn't mind something like this. Or at least sanctions for using other languages in public chats. English is the language you are supposed to use, if you can't speak English then why are you playing on an English server?

Subscriber Pingwin Pwner
* * * * Member Since 2011-05-29
posté November 27, 2012, 22:58:09 | #3

Quote (HolyPie @ 27 November 2012 22:25) *

~Create some sort of translator, possibly incorporating a tool such as Google translate?... (I know that'd most likely be a programming nightmare)

This would not work very well due to the fact the amount of slang people say and all them typos. No one, rarely ever speaks perfect English on here.. There will always be something. Also, Google translator when translating sentences is very unreliable...

Mask-masque (Zatoishwan)
Avarice
Subscriber Great Coralator Polisher
* * * Member Since 2011-03-14
posté November 28, 2012, 08:09:47 | #4
I agree with all this. It really pisses me off when a bunch of people go off talking french or polish or w/e and then add part of my char's name into their text, makes me wonder what they're saying and pisses me off even more.

I for one don't use my native language in public chats, if I wanna talk Russian I'll send PMs or let an alt join a guild that has ONLY people speaking russian in it.

Schitzo (Rosal)
Former Subscriber Scaraleaf Planter
* Member Since 2012-10-12
posté November 28, 2012, 12:32:21 | #5
I do believe I've read that Ankama wants to more actively enforce the language rules, but they just don't have the man-power (mods) for it.

I would like to see this happen, it gets so annoying if all you ever read is "cherche groupe!!!"

Subscriber Minotoror Tamer
* * * Member Since 2006-05-26
posté November 28, 2012, 17:08:05 | #6
A filter would be a nice idea, when creating a character ask them what language they speak and they'll be directed to a suitable server to the language chosen.

posté November 28, 2012, 17:56:15 | #7

Quote (AnotherFolly @ 28 November 2012 12:32) *
I do believe I've read that Ankama wants to more actively enforce the language rules, but they just don't have the man-power (mods) for it.

I would like to see this happen, it gets so annoying if all you ever read is "cherche groupe!!!"
Izmar is able to recruit more moderators at any point that she desires to do so as far as I know.

Former Subscriber Ouginak Torturer
* Member Since 2012-03-17
posté November 28, 2012, 20:42:37 | #8
Yeah I support anything that'd get rid of this problem

posté November 28, 2012, 20:49:01 | #9
And to be fair to Google Translate, even tho it may not come out with perfect English, it is still understandable. And I will take understandable over Turkish, Polish or anything else any day.

This post has been edited by Revil-Nunor - November 28, 2012, 20:54:56.
Subscriber Piglet Milker
* Member Since 2006-02-08
posté November 29, 2012, 00:20:01 | #10
Must admit this also bothers me a allot. But from the other hand, I can understand them. This is an international server after all. There are no Polish/turkish/russian servers where they could play and speak in their own language. I know there is a decent Russian guild on solar. Some of them don't even speak English, but they keep their language in guild. Once I had a perceptor fight versus them. They didn't speak much, and I can respect that they decide not speak at all rather than shouting out broken English or their own language.

A merge with another low populated server would be just awesomesauce. There are so few players left on Solar that most of the stuff takes days or even weeks to sell for prices that are even below what I've seen on highly populated servers like Rushu or Rosal.

Subscriber Arachnophobe
* Member Since 2008-01-04
posté November 29, 2012, 01:18:17 | #11

Quote (Trusis @ 29 November 2012 00:20) *
Must admit this also bothers me a allot. But from the other hand, I can understand them. This is an international server after all. There are no Polish/turkish/russian servers where they could play and speak in their own language. I know there is a decent Russian guild on solar. Some of them don't even speak English, but they keep their language in guild. Once I had a perceptor fight versus them. They didn't speak much, and I can respect that they decide not speak at all rather than shouting out broken English or their own language.

A merge with another low populated server would be just awesomesauce. There are so few players left on Solar that most of the stuff takes days or even weeks to sell for prices that are even below what I've seen on highly populated servers like Rushu or Rosal.
Rushu, Rosal, Solar, Shika, and Zatoishwan are NOT "International" servers. All 5 servers in our Community are English Servers. The "International" label was dropped many months ago and we are now only English Servers. These servers primarily cater to North America, Australia, and the United Kingdom where English is the most prominent language.

Furthermore, English is still the International Trade Language and is one of the most spoken languages in the world. Many countries require English to be a second language taught to children as it is the International Trade Language. Even if we were still the "International" Community, English would still be the required language and simply because of its use in the world today. English has always been the only allowed language in the public chats on all 5 servers and the rule should be enforced to a harsh degree given that we are the English Community.

Schitzo (Rosal)
posté November 29, 2012, 11:08:23 | #12

Quote (Revil-Nunor @ 28 November 2012 17:56) *

Quote (AnotherFolly @ 28 November 2012 12:32) *

Izmar is able to recruit more moderators at any point that she desires to do so as far as I know.
I couldn't find the exact discussion, but the post here (Click here) pretty much explains it.

posté November 29, 2012, 18:03:29 | #13
That topic was made over 2 years ago tho, I think the situation has gone downhill a bit since then. I have seen Moderators flying the flag more on servers lately and enforcing language rules, which is refreshing to see.

Schitzo (Rosal)
posté November 29, 2012, 18:13:46 | #14
Haha well my mistake then, haven't been active much lately. When last I was that still applied

posté November 29, 2012, 18:20:44 | #15
I have no doubt it is still low priority, but at least a token effort is made to stop the worst offenders, or at least the ones they see.

Former Subscriber Dreggon Breaker
* * Member Since 2008-07-15
posté December 03, 2012, 03:46:35 | #16
Thanks everybody for the positive support. I'd use Multi Quote to respond directly to the comments, but it won't allow me to do it for whatever reason, so here goes my post...

As for the Mod suggestion, I for one would be eccentric and in complete support for a "Mini-Mod" of sort, made of a volunteer group with no greater power over the other members of the community than to have a contact with Mods when they see someone breaking a sort of small, often overlooked rule. I would volunteer myself for this position just to see basic rules enforced and increase communication across servers.

Revil, I agree with you in 100%, especially that last post made. Some sort of effort would be nice. I know Mods have a lot on their plate to deal with, but as they're patrolling ol' Village Zaap and PvP map and see a conversation in Turkish, French, Polish, ect they'd atleast put a slight punishment in place. I could be wrong and they do this already, honestly I wouldn't know, but by the fact I see people who don't speak an ounce of English on the server every time I log as they say "%*#& #$*#& $*#& Advocate #$*#$ #$*#$&" either in the most wretched attempt at English i've ever seen or their foreign language makes my skin crawl.

The only negative response from this idea i've had is the ideal that the non-English community "Farms the mats for the sets we need.", which sort of reminds me of the concept of out sourcing to be quite honest, but its just a game and I know a large community of people who are willing to sit down and farm those mats AND can speak English.

Thanks for the support on this heavy topic of mine, hopefully i'll gain more followers and get attention from the "higher-ups" as I don't see this as a little priority and should be taken more heavily than it currently is. Sorry if I sound like i'm complaining, but I don't think its fair that entire communities have sprawled up out of the works and its hardly looked into by the staff, when there are people willing to volunteer to prevent this from happening.

~Jki & Random inc.

This post has been edited by HolyPie - December 03, 2012, 03:57:34.