Back to forum.dofus.com

No flash

Dofus vs Wakfu, difference?
posté September 12, 2010, 06:27:47 | #1
Dofus vs Wakfu Ok, i saw an ad for wakfu, tubed it a lil, went to the site, saw it was closed beta atm, saw the link for dofus, tubed that a lil.

Im very curious what the difference is between the 2, they both appear to have the same characters, same battle style, same classes, everything. all i see that might be different is maybe graphics or play speed? is one just the sequal to the other?

Both look very interesting, and the characters remind me of a game i played long ago called endless online, but im not posting this to advertise.

If you can clue me in that would be great already signed up for wakfu once its open, but im not sure whether to wait or just play dofus.

please help and thanks ahead of time

Former Subscriber Wa Wabbit Carrotator
* * * * Member Since 2009-12-20
posté September 12, 2010, 06:31:09 | #2
I recommend playing dofus for now. Who knows when wakfu will be released. Its kinda hard to compare the too. Although they have similar battle styles and same characters the game mechanics are extremely different.

Feathers (Solar)
Lust
Former Subscriber Sphincter Cell Uncorker
* * * * * Member Since 2009-09-30
posté September 12, 2010, 07:03:45 | #3
Wakfu is the sequel to Dofus, set 1000 years later.

Subscriber Celestial Bearbarian Basher
* * * * * * Member Since 2005-12-31
posté September 12, 2010, 09:06:05 | #4
Indeed; it also has more of a free-roam system (short of the battles.)

Also, the more you use a spell--the more powerful it becomes, (last I was told.) So that sounds a bit interesting, eh!

-Cato

Former Subscriber Thrower of Barbrossa
* * Member Since 2010-01-23
posté September 12, 2010, 10:48:44 | #5
The avatar were changed a lot too. I personally don't like the new male sram design but I love the new male xelor.

Former Subscriber Arachnophobe
* Member Since 2008-10-31
posté September 12, 2010, 11:36:26 | #6
Uhm lol don't tell fairytails about wakfu if you haven't played it. It is really impossible how they screwed up wakfu after making "the new, better wakfu 2.0". They make this crap since... i'm not sure but it is at least 1 year and we still don't have sadi and enu... They nerf every playable build, right now you can only play osa, otherwise you will be killed by every mob giving exp. The grafics is even worse than dofus 2.0. The spells look soooo ... can't find word for it. Example: sram 1.0 every spell was like dark smokes, invisibility was like little cyklon of black smoke going from feet up to head and formig dark skull at the end. Now he throws some bottle (?) and disappears in little violet cloudlet reaching our knees. Attacks are like colorfull bubblys.. it's so not sram stuff. The whole world of wakfu looks now like some pokemon crap. Dofus doesn't have great grapfics but it is really better.

Edit: wakfu has also huge lags

Former Subscriber Thrower of Barbrossa
* * Member Since 2006-10-23
posté September 12, 2010, 12:28:45 | #7
Well i DO play wakfu and am currently a beta tester, and its GREAT spells look are amazing, and we only dont have sadi and enu yet because their still working on them, u can level up each of your spells 2 lvl 100 (through use not spell points) free roaming map but when you enter a fight its fixed. You can see all your armour except belt and rings, (also theirs new armour, chest peices, shoulder pads,) the monsters look awesome!

The only reason its lagging and their are a few bugs is that its still in BETA theirs only 1 server for everybody to play on, and whats that about osa's being the only strong class? you must really suck because i havent even made a osa yet and fights are easy (lvl 50 iop)

Volunteer Mentor Minotot Deboner
* * * * * Member Since 2008-06-06
posté September 12, 2010, 14:29:28 | #8
I'm not sure if you know this but Wakfu is in a beta state. You can NOT expect ANYTHING in that game to stay the same. I too am a Beta tester and I don't worry at all about the changes. When a game is first made, you have these sweeping, amazing concepts and ideas. But when you put them into action in the game, what looks good on paper may in fact be too powerful or out of the ordinary in game. When something is in Beta, there is 100% no guarantee that anything will remain the same.

Wakfu itself doesn't have huge lags, but it does require quite a bit more CPU power to run. Also, everything in this thread based on liking or hating the game is opinion. People are allowed to say whatever they want whenever they want about the game and are not wrong for doing it and can not be rebuked for it.

Without further adieu, welcome to the Beta. Nothing in the beta stays the same.

Wakfu is an amazing game. The most out of the world concept is the fact the entire game is player driven. Players control the politics, economy and the monster populations. I don't know how long that will last because you can already think of several doomsday scenarios right after reading that. It's programmed in Java instead of flash, so you can do so much more with the game code and it looks beautiful. The spells DO level up as you use them, but they're in the process of reworking that system so that you can level up more spells because it posed a problem at higher levels. It also sounds great (but the sounds were taken out to be reworked and should be re-added next patch).

Wakfu forums!!

Anyway, these are my opinions on the game. I personally think it's great.
-Mentor 68

Milano (Rushu)
Cloud
Subscriber Crocabulia Extinguisher
* * * * * Member Since 2010-07-19
posté September 12, 2010, 15:21:21 | #9
oh dear, the whole spell leveling sounds like a good idea... but an iop that uses nothing but Strengthstorm? That's overkill. I've played Wakfu, but only as an Eca (just kind of ran around and stuff, nothing much) and if I use HoT all the time, I'm sure I'll be doing 200+ damage and >10 healing. Even that seems OP in my eyes.

posté September 12, 2010, 17:09:56 | #10
StrengthStorm doesn't exist in Wakfu as of right now, the fire spells are: Lightning, Judgement, Justice, Celestial Sword and Iop's Wrath. The spells are quite different in Wakfu than in Dofus. You get spells based on performance in the class, so if you just use fire spells, you'll unlock more and more fire spells. I had all of the earth spells unlocked when I was low levelled. As of right now, I'm only Lv. 7 on my Iop and have all the Earth spells unlocked. This may or may not change in the next update but I don't use my Iop often, I don't play much as of right now actually.

-Mentor 68

Milano (Rushu)
Cloud
Subscriber Crocabulia Extinguisher
* * * * * Member Since 2010-07-19
posté September 12, 2010, 17:14:48 | #11
that's good If they don't have strengthstorm... if that could hit 300+ at levels 100+ on dofus imagine it even higher on wakfu... celestial sword is bareable but it could get really annoying at times.

posté September 12, 2010, 17:20:45 | #12
WAKFU IS DIFFERENT MAX. Take assault it hits AND swaps the sac. I'm sure iops wrath is completely different too. Just don't compare spells in dofus to wakfu. They're entirely different.

Former Subscriber Arachnophobe
* Member Since 2008-10-31
posté September 12, 2010, 19:46:56 | #13
The spell lvling system sucks. It's not about how often you use the spells but how many spells you use. It was already told but i write it again: don't compare wakfu and dofus, these are completly different. "Players control the politics, economy and the monster populations." Yeah that's why you have to run around 30 minutes to find 1 gobball, tofu, boar or something else that gives exp at low lvls, but if you go to amakna on some stronger monsters (beach, cracklers, crows etc.) there are houndreds of them on the screen. It's beta, i know. But come on, it's beta since at least 3 years and since 6 months we dont have any update. THE WORST DECISION ABOUT WAKFU WAS TO DELETE WHOLE WAKFU 1.0. It was so great, even if 80% of spells didnt have any graphics at all, those 20% were amaizing .Althaough spell leveling system wasn't great, imo it was better than this one (i don't like to chose between more hp, crits, ap or lvl up to support spell) The Astrub city was huge and i loved it.

posté September 12, 2010, 23:38:26 | #14
Iop's Wrath is actually quite the same. There's a chance it could cause an Immolation (I think this is the name -- also I'd have to double check if it does) status effect. It still hits very high at lv 1 and at lv 100 the same thing, really high. It takes 7 AP to cast so it "generally" functions the same.

This isn't the forum to gripe about Wakfu. If you would like to vent your frustration over the "fail of Ankama on Wakfu" as you put it then do it on the Wakfu forum. The OP was asking for the difference, and we're telling them to him. Love it or hate it, that's the rules.

-Mentor 68

posté September 12, 2010, 23:42:25 | #15

Quote (Mentor-LXVIII @ 12 September 2010 22:38) *
Iop's Wrath is actually quite the same. There's a chance it could cause an Immolation (I think this is the name -- also I'd have to double check if it does) status effect. It still hits very high at lv 1 and at lv 100 the same thing, really high. It takes 7 AP to cast so it "generally" functions the same.

This isn't the forum to gripe about Wakfu. If you would like to vent your frustration over the "fail of Ankama on Wakfu" as you put it then do it on the Wakfu forum. The OP was asking for the difference, and we're telling them to him. Love it or hate it, that's the rules.

-Mentor 68

Oh... Lol. I tried playing wakfu but I don't know a bit of french so I gave up.

posté September 12, 2010, 23:43:58 | #16
Yes that's unfortunate. Enough is in English that I can understand but I wish it were fully translated although I'm not going to complain. I got access to the Beta, it's partially in English so I can play and I'm happy with that. Count your blessings.

-Mentor 68

posté September 12, 2010, 23:57:53 | #17
It is? I played a few months ago and it was a completely french. I guess they changed that.

Former Subscriber Minotoror Tamer
* * * Member Since 2007-01-14
posté September 14, 2010, 19:29:40 | #18
And its literally partially english. Still way too much french text/players for me to get really back to it