Back to forum.dofus.com

By continuing to browse this website, you consent to the use of cookies, which enable us to offer you customised content and to collect site-visit statistics. Click on this link for more information on cookies, and to customise your cookie preferences. X

No flash

Kolossium 1vs1
Game designer Treechnid Hugger
* Member Since 2003-11-07
posté March 20, 2017, 14:30:00 | #1
Kolossium 1vs1

With update 2.41, we wanted to add a one-on-one mode (1v1) for the Interserver Kolossium (ISK). Here are the details.

Up until now, we've been reluctant about promoting 1v1 PvP, primarily for the following reasons:

• The difficulty in finding a satisfactory way of balancing this game mode.
  • The risk of dividing players between too large a number of PvP modes and reducing the number of visits to the Kolossium (increased waiting times).

We now have some potential answers to these problems and that's why we wanted to introduce a 1v1 Kolossium mode.

We know that 1v1 PvP is a very important and passionate aspect of the game to some players. It offers quick-fire confrontations that bring out a single winner. This is also, theoretically, a more accessible activity because it doesn't require knowledge of the synergies between classes.

How It Works

The 1v1 Kolossium will work on the same basis as the other Kolossium modes. The player will be able to register for 1v1 mode and the matchmaking system will search for a suitable opponent and suggest that both players engage in combat.
If they agree, they will then be teleported directly onto the fight map.

1v1 mode will have a specific ranking (like the two 3v3 solo and 3v3 team modes, which each have their own ranking) because characters vary greatly in efficiency in these game modes.

Balancing

Class balancing in 1v1 has always been problematic because of themarkedly different roles, abilities, and game mechanics between classes. It is our opinion that 1v1 PvP is currently the least balanced PvP experience.
The abilities and game mechanics are so different that classes suffer a big "Nemesis”-type mechanic (class A may find it almost impossible to defeat class B, who has very powerful abilities to counter class A).

To get around this issue, we're going to dynamically register the results of each class against the other game classes (by level groupings and in 1v1 only) so we can calculate class A's average chances of beating class B.
This information will then be used by the matchmaking system to offer more balanced fights.

For example, if characters from the Sadida class have a better chance of beating characters from the Iop class in 1v1, the matchmaking system will take this statistic into account and will look for a “less effective" Sadida character to go head to head against a “more effective" Iop character to compensate for this imbalance between the two classes and offer a fight in which, theoretically, both characters should have a 50% chance of winning.

Waiting Time

Since the introduction of the ISK, the number of people visiting the Kolossium has increased considerably and we think we will be able to introduce this 1v1 PvP mode without significantly reducing the number of people in 3v3 mode.

It's difficult to predict how players who currently use 3v3 mode will to react to the arrival of 1v1 mode, but we know that some of our 1v1 mode fans don't play in the current 3v3 Kolossium mode. Their arrival will, therefore, increase the global Kolossium audience rather than reduce the number of players in 3v3 mode.

We also plan to look into the feasibility of simultaneous registration for several game modes (1v1 and 3v3 solo) to allow players to "populate" several Kolossium waiting lines at the same time (as soon as a fight becomes available in either game mode, it will be offered to the player).
This sort of feature isn't planned for the release of 1v1 mode; it's just a possibility we're looking into.

Rewards

1v1 mode will offer the same type of reward as the classic Kolossium (experience, Kolossokens, and kamas). We would like players to be able to progress through the game and generate enough wealth to craft or buy equipment.

However, the end-of-fight rewards won't be as good as those for 3v3 mode, because 1v1 fights generally don't last as long and because we want to encourage players to play in a team.
Currently, we're planning to divide the rewards from 3v3 mode by two to get the 1v1 mode rewards, but we might increase these rewards depending on the average duration of the fights and the waiting time imposed.

Maps

Initially, 1v1 mode will use a specific Kolossium map, but over time, we plan to create a dedicated group of maps.

Q & A

When will 1v1 Kolossium be available?

The 1v1 ISK should be available in beta form at the same time as the 2.41 beta version.

However, this system is still at an experimental stage, and we can't guarantee that the 1v1 ISK will be available in the 2.41 final version.
If results are satisfactory during the beta phase of version 2.41, we will integrate it into the 2.41 final version.

Will a 1v1 ranking (leaderboard) be available on the official website?

In the long run, we plan on adding a 1v1 ranking on the official website (as for the 3v3 modes), but we can't yet guarantee that it will be available in time for the 2.41 final version release.

Are you planning to do any specific class balancing for 1v1?

We think that the class victory ratio system is a better-suited solution to the 1v1 balancing concerns than implementing specific balancing.

Is the ISK 1v1 going to replace the alignment attack system?

We're not planning to prevent attacks on characters of other alignments, but we do eventually want to remove the honor points system, which is too full of errors to work correctly (it's too easy to circumnavigate and exploit).

We think that a 1v1 Kolossium system will provide a much better 1v1 PvP experience, with a very large number of fights available, material rewards and experience to progress, much more balanced fights, and a much greater number of different opponents (thanks to the ISK).

For us, it's also the opportunity to better pool our efforts for arena PvP.

Will the class victory ratio system also be applied to 3v3 mode?

Initially, this system will only be used and tested on the 1v1 Kolossium.
If this system works well, we will look into the possibility of also allowing the 3v3 modes to benefit from it, but in a different way. We may consider using the victory rate of class pairs compared to other class pairs, so we can estimate the strength of the different class synergies.
This is a very ambitious project from a technical point of view and it is not currently planned. But we are aware that it's a solution that is likely to improve the quality of Kolossium fights.

Subscriber Thrower of Barbrossa
* * Member Since 2012-08-13
posté March 20, 2017, 15:00:44 | #2
I presume that Shields won't be allowed, am I right?
Well, it's a good time to make them viable again.

This post has been edited by InkSix - June 25, 2017, 03:55:23.
Subscriber Larva
* Member Since 2012-08-15
posté March 20, 2017, 15:05:41 | #3
Interesting....

Subscriber Grossewer Rat Washer
* * Member Since 2016-04-04
posté March 20, 2017, 15:34:16 | #4
I proposed this idea, can't believe they actually listened! First E-Sports now 1v1 kolo? My dreams just came true...
Thank you Ankama!

Will-Frost (Shika)
Pixel
Subscriber Gobball Breeder
* Member Since 2007-10-06
posté March 20, 2017, 15:42:14 | #5
Looks interesting sounds like fun

Good job!

Subscriber Bworkette Lover
* * * Member Since 2010-06-19
posté March 20, 2017, 15:50:31 | #6
whaaaaaaaaaaatttttttttttttttttttttt

Is it April Fools already??????? zzzzzz

Subscriber Pikoko Pilot
* * Member Since 2010-11-28
posté March 20, 2017, 15:52:34 | #7
oh god....

Subscriber Moopet Master
* * Member Since 2016-11-05
posté March 20, 2017, 16:03:39 | #8
Don't you have enough on your plate, Ankama?

Subscriber Piglet Tracker
* Member Since 2010-08-21
posté March 20, 2017, 16:16:15 | #9
THis is the last thing i wanna see now , why would you bring back 1v1 if you removed THE BOUNTY HUNTER ...HEROOOOO ANKAMA , the one thing everyone loveeeeeed you removed and said it was unbalanced and a lot thing that you just droped in the water i see the balancing system and all but you could of done that a lot sooner :/ or you have been working on this for 5 years XD

meh ankama trolling us ...

* * * Member Since 2008-05-03
posté March 20, 2017, 16:39:36 | #10
This is great news! I may just get into PvP again with this. Can only take so much of being put into random teams where no one knows how to work together...

This post has been edited by AlphaWarrior - June 25, 2017, 03:55:23.
Subscriber Larva
* Member Since 2008-08-29
posté March 20, 2017, 17:03:22 | #11
It would be very nice if you could also choose to battle a bonta or a brak. That way you can level up your rank, in a random map and have some fun.

Subscriber Mufafah Rider
* * Member Since 2009-10-10
posté March 20, 2017, 17:17:34 | #12
For the communities sake I hope this works out, at least there not going to try to solve the imbalance issues by tampering with the various class' themselves, for that I'm pretty thankful. Here's hoping all goes well!

Subscriber Piglet Milker
* Member Since 2011-10-27
posté March 20, 2017, 17:26:00 | #13
Why dont you add honour points to this system..

Subscriber Arachnophobe
* Member Since 2015-09-02
posté March 20, 2017, 17:43:40 | #14
Going to agree with afew others in this thread, should really consider baking in the honor point system into this. If nothing else but for fun, since the wings (at least on international servers) are hard to come by and a nice commodity. They also look great, though i guess we may have to wait for the shield update to see what we will be able to do with wings and such.

Assistant Community Manager Celestial Bearbarian Basher
* * * * * * Member Since 2013-10-31
posté March 20, 2017, 17:51:36 | #15
The matchmaking system used by the Kolossium does not take character alignement into consideration when creating fighting teams; as such, it seems difficult to us to associate the honor point system and the ISK.

Rekon-nu (Aermine)
Preliminary
Subscriber Treechnid Hugger
* Member Since 2010-09-21
posté March 20, 2017, 17:57:12 | #16
Wow, 1vs1 kolo seems good for me.
Do you plan to publish the class victory ratio data to players? I want to know it!

Assistant Community Manager Celestial Bearbarian Basher
* * * * * * Member Since 2013-10-31
posté March 20, 2017, 18:03:55 | #17
We have currently no plans to share this data.

Cristata (Solar)
Ready
Former Subscriber Piglet Milker
* Member Since 2009-02-26
posté March 20, 2017, 18:54:30 | #18
Disappointing that there will be no connection to brakmar vs bonta in this pvp update. The game's lore feels absolutely hollow without it.

Former Subscriber Tofu Stroker
* Member Since 2008-12-05
posté March 20, 2017, 19:05:45 | #19
Can't we just straight up ban classes like cras, sadidas, and osas? They'd be just ruining the 1v1 experience D:

Subscriber Arachnophobe
* Member Since 2016-09-13
posté March 20, 2017, 19:13:12 | #20
3 vs 3 had many more variables like team comp and classes/spells synergy but 1 vs 1 well may the guy with the most kamas win :'(

Former Subscriber Larva
* Member Since 2009-10-17
posté March 20, 2017, 19:28:32 | #21
Finally...

* Member Since 2014-04-04
posté March 20, 2017, 20:01:50 | #22
I appreciate the fact that Ankama is trying to listen to their players now that they've lost so many but they're still not listening hard enough. People also loved the hunt and the honor system. But hey, if they really wanted to make it balanced they could have brought back the hunt system and add the things that'd make 1v1 kolo balanced such as the match making and being able to decide whether or not to fight an opponent. Ankama should really realize that a balanced game is not necessarily fun and maybe go back in a few of the things that were SO popular in the community despite being unbalanced.

Don't get me wrong, I like the fact that they are implementing a rewarding 1v1 system. It's just, the community has always loved the honor system and they've been trying to get rid of it all together instead of fixing it a little.

Subscriber Larva
* Member Since 2007-07-29
posté March 20, 2017, 20:23:18 | #23
I get that this is a game that was initially aimed at children, but all of you who are still whining over bounty hunter being removed all of those years ago grow the hell up ffs... Either use the 1vs1 system which is MORE EFFECTIVE than the old stroken system and I'll look forward to facing you, or alternatively not bother posting....

1vs1 is a great idea, it finally gives players who actually play well an opportunity to pvp on a mass scale without the whole "I can't attack him, he's my friend" crap that regularly occurs across all servers, or the "I don't want to attack him, he's much better" ... There's still the 3vs3 option for those of you who need to be leeched through your fights.

Hoedinkie (Ombre)
Former Subscriber Pandora Opener
* * * * Member Since 2008-12-28
posté March 20, 2017, 20:26:34 | #24
Assuming Ankama's abilty on 'balancing' champions, I can already say that there will be one class which steps above all.

With this there will be a lot of complains that it's "unfair" and as result, there will be a lot of pointless updates which nerfs one, but gives another an advantage.

Subscriber Scaraleaf Planter
* Member Since 2010-06-09
posté March 20, 2017, 20:58:58 | #25

Quote (deadmarko @ 20 March 2017 16:16) *
THis is the last thing i wanna see now , why would you bring back 1v1 if you removed THE BOUNTY HUNTER ...HEROOOOO ANKAMA , the one thing everyone loveeeeeed you removed and said it was unbalanced and a lot thing that you just droped in the water i see the balancing system and all but you could of done that a lot sooner :/ or you have been working on this for 5 years XD

meh ankama trolling us ...
You dont have to participate lol. There are enough other players that want to have to 1 vs 1 system, ( mainly old players i guess ) if you dont like it, dont register for it. easy as it is

Quote (mrkosznik-pl @ 20 March 2017 19:05) *
Can't we just straight up ban classes like cras, sadidas, and osas? They'd be just ruining the 1v1 experience D:
Well, this might not seem like a bad idea. I also play another game and there they have something called ''map bans'' . both teams can ban 1 map before they fight starts. The same game is also working on class bans in the future. Why not just put this in the 1vs1 system? Lets say I am an Iop, and I dont want to 1 vs 1 an enu or cra ( because they just mp reduce and easy win ) so before I register I am able to ban these classes. That way fights will be more balanced. Ofcoure there should be a limit on how many chars you can ban. Since there are about 20 classes in the game I would say you could ban 3 classes max. Ofcourse this would make the waiting ques longer but at least its something they could consider right?

This post has been edited by [Nerodos] - June 25, 2017, 03:55:23.
Reason for edit : Some words and expressions are against the rules. Countdown to week-long ban: 1/3
posté March 20, 2017, 22:05:51 | #26
This is a great idea but don't take 1V1 PVP with honor points please. Lot of people actually enjoy (me that has been pvping on beta for many years)

Subscriber Moopet Master
posté March 21, 2017, 01:52:41 | #27

Quote (Nerodos @ 20 March 2017 17:51) *
The matchmaking system used by the Kolossium does not take character alignement into consideration when creating fighting teams
Create a system that does?
This would really, really help to bring back the beef between bonta and brakmar

Subscriber Arachnophobe
* Member Since 2013-06-12
posté March 21, 2017, 03:26:18 | #28
make shields work with kolo ratings or honor points

Former Subscriber Tofu Stroker
* Member Since 2006-07-15
posté March 21, 2017, 03:36:41 | #29
When i asked a mod they said there would be no 1v1ing. Anyways you should add Kolosuim wings or something for me to show my power

Gio-Xx (Rosal)
U S S R
* Member Since 2011-06-25
posté March 21, 2017, 05:30:47 | #30
So when two school boys get into argument they can just offer each other 1v1 kolo and then look for excuse to avoid it. Good thing to have.

Zaojun (Rosal)
Bonfire
Legendary Caster of Creativity Greater Bherb Pruner
* * * * Member Since 2008-04-02
posté March 21, 2017, 07:18:06 | #31
On paper this idea looks great. However, the way you guys are describing it, it's not going to execute well. If a 1v1 fight is only going to give you a third of the rewards for 3v3, then why play 1v1 at all when you could just do 3v3 where the fights are much more balanced? That makes about as much sense as the dungeon match maker system.

I honestly feel that if you want to have some 1v1 fun, then just put in a pseudo-headhunter system. That will entertain lots of people, and won't become obsolete because you nerfed it to make sure nobody would abuse it.

Full disclosure, there is a MUCH better way you guys can do this, and this just seems like a lazy "make some players happy" fix.

Subscriber Arachnophobe
* Member Since 2011-06-04
posté March 21, 2017, 07:20:34 | #32
damn

Subscriber Pikoko Pilot
posté March 21, 2017, 08:39:32 | #33
when is the 2.41 beta ?

Subscriber Grossewer Rat Washer
* * Member Since 2016-04-04
posté March 21, 2017, 09:22:44 | #34

Quote (CoolRay @ 21 March 2017 07:18) *
On paper this idea looks great. However, the way you guys are describing it, it's not going to execute well. If a 1v1 fight is only going to give you a third of the rewards for 3v3, then why play 1v1 at all when you could just do 3v3 where the fights are much more balanced? That makes about as much sense as the dungeon match maker system.

I honestly feel that if you want to have some 1v1 fun, then just put in a pseudo-headhunter system. That will entertain lots of people, and won't become obsolete because you nerfed it to make sure nobody would abuse it.

Full disclosure, there is a MUCH better way you guys can do this, and this just seems like a lazy "make some players happy" fix.
For you to call judgment when you only see it on paper is presumptuous no?
This isn't "lazy" they worked their butts off to get to this point.
The amount of effort to even see this come to reality is by no means "lazy".
You know what would have been truly "lazy", is if they did nothing at all.

Let's see how it works in beta phases before we call judgment.
And newsflash, this isn't making "some" players happy, this is making every pvper that plays this game for its pvp happy.
I've had many kolo's end up as a 1v1 so this is nothing new really.
Also if you think 3v3 is balanced you need a reality check. Osa/eni/sadi, osa/iop/feca, osa/eni/eca these and many more are almost unkillable team combos in kolo.
People abuse kolo as well. For those that are sick of fighting the same broken combo's in kolo this 1v1 kolo is great news.
At least it will come down to skill and strategy to win. And as someone said a ban map and ban class option should be added as well.

John (Shika)
Veritas
Subscriber Moopet Master
* * Member Since 2010-12-30
posté March 21, 2017, 10:37:17 | #35
Finally people will stop bugging me to be their 3rd man  

Stryke (Rushu)
Fatality
* * * Member Since 2005-12-21
posté March 21, 2017, 11:14:37 | #36
Well look who changed their tune in a hurry.
There must be some serious bad news on it's way that is going to be detrimental to the community.

Former Subscriber Larva
* Member Since 2009-08-13
posté March 21, 2017, 13:54:18 | #37
Make this system like the tekken online pvp. You fight people around your rank and make maybe 20 ranks. Connect it to wings too. To not conflict with Kolo make it available at certain times of the day.

Rare Item Hunter Count Harebourg Clocker
* * * * * * Member Since 2009-01-05
posté March 21, 2017, 22:24:12 | #38

Quote (lichen @ 20 March 2017 14:30) *
For example, if characters from the Sadida class have a better chance of beating characters from the Iop class in 1v1, the matchmaking system will take this statistic into account and will look for a “less effective" Sadida character to go head to head against a “more effective" Iop character to compensate for this imbalance between the two classes and offer a fight in which, theoretically, both characters should have a 50% chance of winning.
In that example, between the sadida and the iop, which iop will be matched against the "more effective" Sadida class?

Top tier classes will dominate the 1vs1 PvP.
Yes it is easy to match the less effective top tier with more effective low tier classes, but who can defeat the best top tier class?
I mean for example, if an ouginak will be top tier in 1vs1, who will be match against the best ouginak? If no other class can beat an ouginak, then eventually 1vs1 kolo will be a meta game that only the few meta class will enjoy, because if you do not play the top tier class, you will lose all the time to those who does play the top tier class,

I just hope the osamodas don't get hit by the nerf hammer when 1vs1 crybabies start asking for nerfs.

This post has been edited by Gunnerwolfang - June 25, 2017, 03:55:23.
Subscriber Piglet Milker
* Member Since 2006-02-18
posté March 21, 2017, 23:36:00 | #39
So if I worked SO HARD to be grade10 rogue (around 1 year?) now I will lose all of my honour points and my g10 wings?? No f..ing way!!

Blacklion (Rushu)
Avrasya
Subscriber Larva
* Member Since 2012-12-15
posté March 22, 2017, 13:11:40 | #40
wish you add honor point and improve wing also ranking system to do new kolo..

Subscriber Moopet Master
posté March 23, 2017, 23:30:50 | #41
Am quite excited for this to be honest

Subscriber Minotoror Tamer
* * * Member Since 2011-10-26
posté March 24, 2017, 08:19:09 | #42
This is cool. Should add 8v8 too ).

Subscriber Tofu Stroker
* Member Since 2014-12-09
posté March 24, 2017, 14:41:29 | #43
I feel that most of the maps are advantageous to iops/ecas and in some cases cras, why not make the map -1,0 where "Actual 1v1" takes place simply because its the only fair map in the game where both sides start on equal footing and not on extremely tight maps where an iop can literally jump every turn and hit you....

This post has been edited by IyoloItEveryday - June 25, 2017, 03:55:23.
Reason for edit : spelling mistake
Ekan (Ereziah)
Electric Dreams
Subscriber Arachnophobe
* Member Since 2008-10-01
posté March 26, 2017, 11:31:21 | #44
Those who ask for 1vs1 are either those who find it difficult to cooperate with other players or the previously mentioned school boys who relate high numbers with prowess and will spend fights beating each other hardly using MPs.

The devs are attempting to satisfy those many players with the minimum effort, for they have more important issues to attend to.

Kolossium is made of challenges meant to measure our skills. It has nothing to do with alignment and role play, and thus has nothing to do with honor points.
Maybe there will come a day when the devs realize how utterly broken the current AvA system is, remove it completely, and bring back the bonta vs brak conflict, obviously revising the way it works.
Until then let's just hope balance between classes will be the devs' first priority.

Subscriber Arachnophobe
* Member Since 2015-12-13
posté March 26, 2017, 16:06:00 | #45
YES! Exactly what i've been wanting for so long!

Subscriber Moopet Master
posté March 26, 2017, 20:44:06 | #46
There is such thing as a 1v1 with skill involved, you have to choose a lot between high risk/high reward, and low risk/low reward manouvers, and positioning is a massive part of play, but also the most complicated (Hence elio and xelor being the most difficult classes to understand)

Ekan (Ereziah)
Electric Dreams
Subscriber Arachnophobe
* Member Since 2008-10-01
posté March 27, 2017, 18:12:31 | #47
I'm happy for this update, if nothing but the fact that I will not be bugged by ego ailed players who challenge me every time I pass through Astrub. I'm happy for them, for their ego and for the classes that will obviously be better suited for 1vs1.
But the realty is this:

Quote (lichen @ 20 March 2017 14:30) *
Class balancing in 1v1 has always been problematic because of themarkedly different roles, abilities, and game mechanics between classes. It is our opinion that 1v1 PvP is currently the least balanced PvP experience.
The abilities and game mechanics are so different that classes suffer a big "Nemesis”-type mechanic (class A may find it almost impossible to defeat class B, who has very powerful abilities to counter class A).

As long as there will be different roles, 1vs1 winners will have none to very low merit. The last changes to classes are leading to a self centered way of playing, so we may soon see everyone jumping and pressing buttons as the current yop, sacrier, hipermage, uginak do. Only then will 1vs1 start to get some balance, and that will strip this game of all its charm.

Subscriber Moopet Master
posté March 29, 2017, 02:07:31 | #48
The thing is, there are lots of classes and builds that are complained about for being "overpowered", but there's always a counter for everything, if you're prepared correctly

Subscriber Ouginak Torturer
* Member Since 2006-10-25
posté March 29, 2017, 15:23:43 | #49
Very excite!

Subscriber Pikoko Pilot
posté March 29, 2017, 15:32:08 | #50

Quote (Inuteroden @ 29 March 2017 02:07) *
The thing is, there are lots of classes and builds that are complained about for being "overpowered", but there's always a counter for everything, if you're prepared correctly
meh... always depends what for class you are