Back to forum.dofus.com

No flash

Dofus - now a casual mmo?
Subscriber Dreggon Breaker
* * Member Since 2005-10-31
posté November 29, 2012, 00:46:09 | #1
Dofus - now a casual mmo? Dofus has changed allot over the years, from automatic reconnection while in dungeons to limits on multi clienting perc fights but the most drastic way the game has changed is perhaps more the style of dofus as a mmo.... Has dofus went casual?

While trying to explain open world 3d mmos (example wow) the game used to seem real hardcore! From a grueling level 200 level cap to relentless heated battles with other guilds over percs and PVP... but now days 7 years later is it still as hard core or more of a casual game?

I'm in no way complaining, I love the daily quests, kolo xp (and leveling alts off them), but do these along with new xp from completing achievements make dofus a casual game? I think the stratagy of making dofus accessible to both hardcore and casual games is smart to keep this game populated but how would you describe dofus in 2012? Hardcore? Casual?

Whats your take?

Baby-Kan (Rushu)
Pumas
Subscriber Ancestral Treechnid Slogger
* * * * Member Since 2008-01-07
posté November 29, 2012, 00:53:12 | #2
I find dofus to be more simplistic and as you say casual. It takes no time at all to do things in dofus compared to other games as you exampled wow. There is plenty of content and things to do, but unlike wow you don't really need to plan ahead and have open hours to do some end game content and raiding. Dofus has changed to allow players to spend less time to get things accomplished, just as the new update will reward players for completing quests and give them items that normally they wouldn't have access to alone. I've always stuck with dofus because it plays both sides of the spectrum, allowing people who wish to spend hours doing something to do whatever as well as with the almanax allowing me to log on for a few minutes and get a few million xp on some characters. Ankama is spreading out to cater a lot more types of gamers, so yes, I say it is casual now.

~KAN~

Unofficial Forum Answer Bot Count Harebourg Clocker
* * * * * * Member Since 2006-02-21
posté November 29, 2012, 00:57:26 | #3
It can be both. It just depends how much you put into it.

* * Member Since 2011-01-27
posté November 29, 2012, 01:39:11 | #4
It's like Revil said. Whether any game is casual or not depends on the player.

It's like books or movies, too. Some people can watch The Lord of the Rings and be entertained and walk away from it; other people may scream about how Peter Jackson left out Tom Bombadil, and then when you ask "Who's Tom Bombadil?" they start cursing in Orcish tongue and throwing 100-sided dice at you.

Pingwin Mascot Blop Gulper
* Member Since 2011-08-16
posté December 03, 2012, 18:28:02 | #5

Quote (CunningFiend @ 29 November 2012 01:39) *
It's like Revil said. Whether any game is casual or not depends on the player.

It's like books or movies, too. Some people can watch The Lord of the Rings and be entertained and walk away from it; other people may scream about how Peter Jackson left out Tom Bombadil, and then when you ask "Who's Tom Bombadil?" they start cursing in Orcish tongue and throwing 100-sided dice at you.
I must admit that i loved your description, as i would be the one throwing the 100-sided dices.

@Topic

The game becomes casual after you stop caring too much about it. I mean, i play on several accounts since 05 and i don't really see the point of playing anything else. Dofus completes me, simple like that. So for me the game isn't casual at all, i still find it challenging to start new characters from point zero.

* * * * Member Since 2008-12-28
posté December 03, 2012, 21:30:29 | #6
It hasn't anything to do with casual nor hardcore. The meta has just been changed.

Casual is mainstream, which everyone follows. Yesterday isn't the same as today, and everyone is coming up with something new, more ideas. Just like 8 accounts, which people thought was a smart idea.

The game has been changed, most people left and it's harder to find groups. maybe that's why it play and feels differend right now...

Subscriber Gobkool Shearer
* * Member Since 2011-02-07
posté December 03, 2012, 22:51:27 | #7
I have always played Dofus casually since 2007 with the occassional all-nighter, but never as "hardcore"/religiously as I have with other mmos. I like that Dofus allows for both paces of play and everything in between. You really can play as much or as little as you want without the stress of falling behind. WoW does not really allow for leisurely play, from my experience and others who played. The pace of play is up to you.

Subscriber Klime Buttonholer
* * * * * * Member Since 2005-08-20
posté December 03, 2012, 23:05:56 | #8
... if this is "casual", I'd hate to see "hardcore". My next equipment set (a full Moowolf set) requires so many ingredients with hideously low drop rates I don't want to bother. (And I don't have enough money to buy even one piece of it, let alone the whole set. Getting enough money to buy it requires just as much grinding as dropping all the pieces)

So if there's some magic easy path through the game now, I haven't found it.

posté December 03, 2012, 23:13:36 | #9

If you spend real money to get kamas then you will probably find it pretty easy. Ogrines tend to sell pretty fast and make decent money.

As I said before, you get out of it what you put into it, plain and simple.

This post has been edited by Revil-Nunor - December 03, 2012, 23:14:24.
Subscriber Klime Buttonholer
* * * * * * Member Since 2005-08-20
posté December 04, 2012, 10:18:53 | #10

Quote (Revil-Nunor @ 03 December 2012 23:13) *

If you spend real money to get kamas then you will probably find it pretty easy. Ogrines tend to sell pretty fast and make decent money.

Oh, I see. I was trying to play it like a RPG, earning gear by beating monsters and stuff. You're saying that I have to play it as if it were a shopping mall instead of a game, and just open up my wallet and throw money at it (in addition to the money I'm already throwing at it to subscribe)

How about I just keep playing Dofus, and you can go play your Home Shopping Channel game.

This post has been edited by Darkstorm - December 04, 2012, 16:56:35.
Community Manager Klime Buttonholer
* * * * * * Member Since 2009-10-19
posté December 04, 2012, 11:15:21 | #11

Quote (Darkstorm @ 03 December 2012 23:05) *
... if this is "casual", I'd hate to see "hardcore". My next equipment set (a full Moowolf set) requires so many ingredients with hideously low drop rates I don't want to bother. (And I don't have enough money to buy even one piece of it, let alone the whole set. Getting enough money to buy it requires just as much grinding as dropping all the pieces)

The upcoming Achievements system will be able to help support people who might be finding it hard to drop those elusive set materials. There will be achievements for each dungeon that give some of the boss monster's drops when completed. =)

Speaking on behalf of the developers - Ankama is trying to make the game more accessible to players who might not have enough time to play in a hardcore fashion, but also offer rewards and incentives to people who want challenges and high difficulty (for example, the challenges system offers greater rewards to players who voluntarily play with certain restrictions that make the fight more difficult). The Achievements system will also support this type of play by unlocking rewards, titles, and ornaments for players that complete the most difficult achievements.

Considering that only 16% of all level 180-200 players were able to complete all of the Frigost 2.5 content (as of February 2012), there's a strong argument that some content in DOFUS has been too hardcore - which is why this past year has seen the addition of many systems to help support and assist players through their journey from 1 to 200, particularly those who are playing alone or in small groups.

In a nutshell: the intention is to make the game challenging but not impossible, even for those who cannot multi-client.

Subscriber Arachnophobe
* Member Since 2011-02-09
posté December 04, 2012, 13:37:52 | #12
Izmar: would be interesting to do the same stats again in february 2013, just to see if players moved somewhere over the year...

posté December 04, 2012, 17:50:20 | #13

Quote (Darkstorm @ 04 December 2012 10:18) *

Quote (Revil-Nunor @ 03 December 2012 23:13) *

Oh, I see. I was trying to play it like a RPG, earning gear by beating monsters and stuff. You're saying that I have to play it as if it were a shopping mall instead of a game, and just open up my wallet and throw money at it (in addition to the money I'm already throwing at it to subscribe)

How about I just keep playing Dofus, and you can go play your Home Shopping Channel game.
That isn't what I meant at all. You asked if there was a magical and easy path thru the game, buying kamas seems as easy as it gets to me. Was I recommending it, or insinuating that you did it, no.

* * Member Since 2011-01-27
posté December 04, 2012, 18:53:17 | #14

Quote (Darkstorm @ 04 December 2012 10:18) *

Oh, I see. I was trying to play it like a RPG, earning gear by beating monsters and stuff.

Getting enough money to buy it requires just as much grinding as dropping all the pieces

Do you wanna play it like an RPG, or not?

How did you attain your current level and equips? Why aren't the same methods viable for getting your next levels and equips?

The "magic easy path" for the average player is finding a small handful of things you enjoy doing -- profitable things, even if it's just a small profit -- and being patient.

Baby-Kan (Rushu)
Pumas
* * * * Member Since 2008-01-07
posté December 04, 2012, 19:51:11 | #15
Over the course of dofus as any other mmo game things change within it and players have to adapt as they must do in the real world. Granted when a player is lower lvl it is much easier to afford the gear because of the lower costs, however it has been mentioned that there are some "easy ways" to skate by such as spending real life money but that doesnt have to be the case. The next update will be making the game even easier for players who don't play 8 accounts or I should say are very talented in playing and have a multitude of experience, because it does not take 8 accounts to be successful it only helps to speed up that success. The game can be casual or hardcore depending on what the individual player wants it to be as in how much time they wish to devote to it. You might wander across an easy scheme to make tons of kamas one week, and the next its over, those are the "easy ways," otherwise stick to whatever you have found to be reliable. Do what has gotten you to the point you are at now and experiment with other things and see how you fair with them is my best advice for striking gold.

~KAN~