Back to forum.dofus.com

By continuing to browse this website, you consent to the use of cookies, which enable us to offer you customised content and to collect site-visit statistics. Click on this link for more information on cookies, and to customise your cookie preferences. X

No flash

DOFUS Interfaces overhaul
Ankama Arachnophobe
* Member Since 2013-10-11
posté April 29, 2016, 17:00:00 | #1
DOFUS Interfaces overhaul I am extremely thrilled to announce that the preliminary data-collecting work is finished, and that the project meant to completely overhaul the various interfaces is now a go!

We are fully aware that such a project requires us to work closely with you, so we are going to frequently ask for your help in the DOFUS Lab in order to properly analyse not only the current interface but the various leads we'll work on as well (interface after interface).

So please stick around, we're going to need you!

I also would like to remind you that this project will not cannibalise the current production of new content, nor the fixing of bugs, so you don't need to worry: it's all bonus (well, a heavy workload of a bonus, but a bonus nonetheless!)

The first step will be finding the overall graphic design, or to put it bluntly, what we will be going for. To that end, we've worked on the inventory and characteristics sheet concepts that you can see below (please keep in mind that nothing is set in stone, this is a first step and is subject to change). I'll let you let us know what you think, but to be honest, we think it's nifty.

Concept 1

Concept 2

Fury.

Former Subscriber Mufafah Rider
* * Member Since 2010-11-28
posté April 29, 2016, 19:13:55 | #2
I really like it, look more professional and stylish. Im for the concept 1

Malidoll (Rushu)
Subscriber Larva
* Member Since 2009-10-10
posté April 29, 2016, 19:34:22 | #3
Hello team,
This is a huge difference compared to the interfaces we have now, and I am very glad this is being done. The interface we have now is a bit boring and not the most efficient. There are several things I like about these concepts and I'd like to give my opinion as well.
I very much like the colour scheme and the titles (inventory etc) of the first concept compared to the other.And I love how you don't have to search for what lvl you are in concept two.The thingy showing how much pods u have, both the location and symbol.What i like about both is how the interface gives so much information, and the dofus/trophies that are beneath your character.
What I do worry about is if you could close just a part of the interface so u can for example fish and look at your inventory at the same time.
Hope this helped!

Subscriber Boowolf Squisher
* * Member Since 2009-10-10
posté April 30, 2016, 21:01:14 | #4
With the greater screen real estate I wish we had the option to move and adjust the size of windows. I'm more for concept one as well and please give us the option to still use the old color scheme from 1.29, PLEASE!

This post has been edited by AnthonyClark - February 20, 2017, 05:17:05.
Subscriber Greedovore Devourer
* * * Member Since 2008-10-25
posté May 05, 2016, 12:05:17 | #5
Also for me, concept one wins  

Sinbad (Rushu)
Fedaykin
Subscriber Ancestral Treechnid Slogger
* * * * Member Since 2011-08-20
posté May 06, 2016, 14:33:57 | #6
From a design standpoint, it looks nice.
From a usability standpoint there are a few things that would be nice to see happen. Since the interfaces are getting overhauled anyways, would it be possible to add a category dropdown in the inventory that showed all weapons (not just a specific type)? It would also be nice if you could move the idols to the equipment category (or a new category) so as not to always get moved to the bank when dumping resources off en masse.

Subscriber Arachnophobe
* Member Since 2006-12-13
posté May 09, 2016, 19:41:49 | #7
Concept 2 Looks just a little bit better on the screens so If there is a vote Iam voting for #2

@edit Maybe its becouse of the image quality. I like how characteristic page looks like on concept 1 but concept 2 Inventory looks much better imo

This post has been edited by Rozjebywacze - February 20, 2017, 05:17:05.
Subscriber Bworkette Lover
* * * Member Since 2012-12-14
posté May 09, 2016, 21:48:18 | #8

Quote (Nerd-Tease @ 06 May 2016 14:33) *
From a design standpoint, it looks nice.
From a usability standpoint there are a few things that would be nice to see happen. Since the interfaces are getting overhauled anyways, would it be possible to add a category dropdown in the inventory that showed all weapons (not just a specific type)? It would also be nice if you could move the idols to the equipment category (or a new category) so as not to always get moved to the bank when dumping resources off en masse.

Really great suggestions there. Hope they'll pick those up.  

Former Subscriber Ouginak Torturer
* Member Since 2006-06-26
posté May 31, 2016, 08:43:51 | #9
I like concept 1 the best. Mainly because I like how all the jewelry equips are to once side instead of all mixed up with the hat, belt etc. equips. Also, I really want the ability to move items around within the inventory. 

This post has been edited by HamSupZhai - February 20, 2017, 05:17:05.
Subscriber Gobkool Shearer
* * Member Since 2011-03-12
posté May 31, 2016, 12:58:54 | #10
Concept 1 is far better than the other one but i would like to keep 2nd as another option aswell.

Former Subscriber Treechnid Hugger
* Member Since 2005-12-03
posté May 31, 2016, 22:43:28 | #11
looks alot more professional compared to the ones we have now. im in for concept 1.

Subscriber Royal Tofu Plucker
* * * Member Since 2008-02-05
posté June 01, 2016, 11:28:49 | #12
Concept 1 is indeed much better than concept 2, but I'd say keep the ring slots next to eachother and the cape down-right.

Ginyu (Rushu)
Akatsuki
Subscriber Kitsou Beater
* * Member Since 2008-10-01
posté June 02, 2016, 18:36:30 | #13
wow i love this . it looks like a legit game and not some cheap browser game lol
because lets be honest the first thing that draws new gamers towards the game is the UI . the UI used now was relevant back in 06' but now considering there are so many mmos out there design should be given a lot of thought.
I've also seen countless mobile games that look better than dofus and that's worrying to be frank.

This post has been edited by Sarunojii - February 20, 2017, 05:17:05.
Subscriber Boowolf Squisher
* * Member Since 2009-10-10
posté June 15, 2016, 01:05:56 | #14
Any ETA on when we can expect the interface overhaul? This year? Maybe next year?

Assistant Community Manager Professor Xa Tipper
* * * * * Member Since 2013-10-31
posté June 15, 2016, 16:07:03 | #15
Unfortunately, we don't have an ETA to share at the moment. We are still working on it (and still gathering opinions as you share them), and have currently no idea on when it could be ready.

Atrom (Solar)
Former Subscriber Arachnophobe
* Member Since 2011-03-01
posté July 05, 2016, 15:10:06 | #16
Wow, it looks great.
About picking one, I'd say the 2nd. 1st one is a bit to shiny. Keep it simple, to much effect is not good sometimes.

Ankama Arachnophobe
posté July 13, 2016, 16:21:23 | #17
Hi everybody!

It's time to update you on the interface redesign for DOFUS.

Significant progress has been made on this project, and since we promised to keep you posted, your feedback has also been taken into account.

You'll find the new examples below (including some fictional content, text, and some elements that are still under development, particularly the icons) which will give you an idea of where we are in the process right now.

We have undertaken this project to improve accessibility and usability of the following interfaces: Inventory, character stats, world map, quest log, and the HUD (the main interface that you see whenever you log in to your server). Other interfaces will only receive a basic graphic "facelift" but will be re-considered in depth later, once the first part of the project is complete.

Here's the preview:

The Main HUD

Yes, you will be able to move the individual modules and even resize them!

Revisions to the inventory and characteristics screen based on your commentary

The new 16:9 map (icons in the legend are sorted randomly, same for the text)

Community interface

Don't hesitate to send us your reactions!
Fury

Rare Item Hunter Count Harebourg Clocker
* * * * * * Member Since 2009-01-05
posté July 13, 2016, 16:36:49 | #18
OMG! Movable and resizable interfaces! That can be moved on the edge of the playable screen!

Ankama makes all our money spending well worth it!

Keep it up!

Subscriber Larva
* Member Since 2011-01-03
posté July 13, 2016, 16:49:10 | #19
I'm scared about treasure hunt. If we are able to move everything on the screen, that mean it will be the map behind every elements.
So, during a hunt, we will have to move every pieces to look behind if there is a clue?

This post has been edited by encorechoco - February 20, 2017, 05:17:05.
posté July 13, 2016, 16:53:56 | #20
Those modules (interfaces) can all be closed when you are treasure hunting. The only module that cannot be closed (or moved) is the main interface, but there will never be a clue under that. So there will be no problem.

Former Subscriber Piglet Milker
* Member Since 2015-09-25
posté July 13, 2016, 21:28:44 | #21
Looks amazing! When will this be implemented?

Assistant Community Manager Professor Xa Tipper
* * * * * Member Since 2013-10-31
posté July 13, 2016, 21:32:04 | #22
We can't say for sure at the moment.

As you can see, it rather depends on the 16:9 display Update, and this one is planned for September, which means it can't be any sooner than that.

Pokii (Rosal)
Voyagers
Subscriber Blop Gulper
* Member Since 2008-06-14
posté July 13, 2016, 22:15:37 | #23
Hi!

I like the changes especially the movable and resizable panels. Im just wondering if this dark scheme will be the only theme available? Or will there also be a light one?

I also like the current Dofus dark theme with the grey/brown/orange because it looks neat and simplistic. I would have been satisfied with the old theme colors + the movable and resizable chat/map. That in itself is A++ for me.

I hope to see more color schemes bec im not a fan of the neon green button/highlight colors. I still like the orange buttons with the current one maybe we can customize the button/highlight colors? Just my opinion

OVERALL its GREAT :3 Thanks Dofus Team :3

Mezrmerized (Rosal)
Subscriber Arachnophobe
* Member Since 2010-07-09
posté July 14, 2016, 01:29:01 | #24
This is most welcome~

Subscriber Tofu Stroker
* Member Since 2011-01-28
posté July 16, 2016, 01:57:05 | #25
oooooohh neat!

as I've been told about the UI changes,

is it possible to add in a "Lock-to-Inventory" button? per say when we are using the quick transfer button (to transfer our daily spoils to our banks) or to prevent us from accidentally trading a spare dofus egg? we could add to the pile but we wont be able to take from it. unless we unlock it. Simply put, right-click>Lock Item>Unlock Item

Subscriber Kolosso's Fastball Special
* * * * * Member Since 2008-08-13
posté July 16, 2016, 21:49:42 | #26
Love what I'm seeing of this design, and I'd like to add a +1 to shveet's suggestion.

Subscriber Grossewer Rat Washer
* * Member Since 2015-05-28
posté July 17, 2016, 14:01:07 | #27
I think we should have an option to revert back to normal inventory interfaces, for original players or those who may dislike the new changes. And call this 'Classic Interface'.

Subscriber Tofu Stroker
* Member Since 2016-01-18
posté July 24, 2016, 01:35:14 | #28
I love it, keep it up!

Subscriber Larva
* Member Since 2011-07-07
posté August 05, 2016, 14:36:24 | #29
Holy crabi patties!!!good bye wakbug,I being waiting for this for ever,excellent work Ankama,killing wakfu for sure.

Subscriber Arachnophobe
* Member Since 2011-09-19
posté August 06, 2016, 12:58:20 | #30
This new 16:9 interface looks amazing! Please release it as soon as possible.

4x3 is dead long live 16:9 !!!!

Otherwise, I would say concept 1 looks better overall except for the "green search box" you should use the one of concept 2.

Subscriber Legendary Crackler Crusher
* * * Member Since 2010-02-12
posté August 06, 2016, 15:42:21 | #31
I was just wondering if the positions of the modules will be automatically saved at log out, per each character (or per account?), or if all the re-opening and re-positioning will have to be re-done on each log on?

Subscriber Tofu Stroker
* Member Since 2006-06-03
posté August 06, 2016, 23:48:46 | #32
I would be pleased when the green text during battles is scrolling in a separate text box.In that case you do not miss important instructions given by your fellow team members.

posté August 07, 2016, 02:04:10 | #33
Have you tried this?
1. Click on the chat menu (the white star in the left of the chat box).
2. Click on "Open the external chat".
3. In the external chat menu (2nd blue square), tick the fight chat and un-tick all other chat.

Now you have a separate "Fight" chat while your client chat stays the same. Just resize them to your preference.

This post has been edited by Gunnerwolfang - February 20, 2017, 05:17:05.
Subscriber Blop Gulper
* Member Since 2008-12-30
posté August 11, 2016, 16:55:57 | #34
it looks amazing,

But

there is one thing...just one thing that bugs me out of the whole new interface.....
please change the position of the AP/MP counters please... seriously i hate that! haha

Subscriber Legendary Crackler Crusher
* * * Member Since 2010-02-12
posté August 19, 2016, 10:29:08 | #35
I was reading the suggestions part of forums, and I came upon a thread that reminded me of a thing I was wondering if it could happen; and maybe with the new interface that could be introduced: I was thinking about the possibility to lock/ unlock specific items on inventory (equips/ resources/ etc) in order to prevent those items to be transferred, let's say to bank while dumping all our stuffs there, or during an accidental exchange.

And still hoping the client will save the positions and sizes of the modules for each character on each account, or it would be a pain to have to move and resize all of them on each log on, or even worse, on each dc ...

[ EDIT : ] I would also like another feature, if possible: to be able to "split" the chat module in two, and have two of them (or more?); let's say, one chat module for fight texts, and one chat module for group chat; or one chat module for group chat and one chat module to chat with a friend maybe; and I'd also like the possibility to move and resize the chat modules independently.

This post has been edited by bohemia - February 20, 2017, 05:17:05.
Bisson (Rosal)
Chronos
* Member Since 2008-04-17
posté August 28, 2016, 01:31:36 | #36
Concept 1 must win!

Former Subscriber Larva
* Member Since 2016-07-12
posté August 31, 2016, 09:23:53 | #37
wow

* Member Since 2013-11-25
posté August 31, 2016, 09:26:01 | #38
looks awesome tho

Ankama Arachnophobe
posté September 01, 2016, 16:27:46 | #39
Hello everyone!

For the last few days we've been going through the forums, Facebook, Youtube, and any other platform where one might talk about the new DOFUS interfaces and the least we can say is that it's a great talking point!
And that's a good thing! Feedback (especially of the constructive sort) always helps improve the end result. As such, we'll do all we can to take a step back and question our work when it is necessary to do so, because that's just how we roll. But we still have to make choices that may not please everybody.

About the beige theme that a lot of you have been asking for on the forums: we chose to go with the black theme because it is currently being used by 90% of players, and we could only make the one. Indeed, maintaining two themes is much too complicated.
But we didn't just sit on our lazy bums, and instead endeavoured to give players the possibility to modify the interfaces. So it will be possible to change interface colours, textures, and fonts by tweaking CSS files and modifying textures in the appropriate folders.
You'll have to know what you'll be doing, of course, but it will allow you to offer and use new themes made by the players, for the players.
This project is still under scrutiny because it could possibly create security and performance issues, so we need to be very careful.
The installation will only be done within the game, no .exe to install that could hide a phishing attempt or some even less joyous malware. We don't want that in our house.

Anyway, you'll have more detail when this project is over, but in the meantime we're psyched! And don't forget that the interface revamp will not end with the BETA; we're still working on improving the project, still listening to your feedback!

Fury.

Pokii (Rosal)
Voyagers
Subscriber Blop Gulper
* Member Since 2008-06-14
posté September 02, 2016, 17:00:33 | #40
Hi and thanks for the hard work into putting this all together :3 it looks great!
Its really a surprise (to me atleast) that we are getting this overhaul so early :3

i love the idea that we can edit the colors of the interface! yay!
(rainbow theme pls someone! :3 lol)

I would just like to suggest a thicker scrollbar its not entirely difficult to scroll but the old one was a great size. its a bit thinner now but i guess i can get used to the new one too. just a suggestion :3

Im also wondering about the clock in the middle sphere, will it be removed completely? i kinda liked it when i needed to know the DUT. i guess i cn use chat time for that anyway.

and will you be working on the screenshots in 16:9 mode? because right now its only saving photos in 4:3 mode on beta.

shreloche (Rosal)
Sarboab
Subscriber Pikoko Pilot
* * Member Since 2006-11-29
posté September 02, 2016, 18:00:23 | #41

Quote (Furylaxx @ 01 September 2016 16:27) *
Hello everyone!

For the last few days we've been going through the forums, Facebook, Youtube, and any other platform where one might talk about the new DOFUS interfaces and the least we can say is that it's a great talking point!
And that's a good thing! Feedback (especially of the constructive sort) always helps improve the end result. As such, we'll do all we can to take a step back and question our work when it is necessary to do so, because that's just how we roll. But we still have to make choices that may not please everybody.

About the beige theme that a lot of you have been asking for on the forums: we chose to go with the black theme because it is currently being used by 90% of players, and we could only make the one. Indeed, maintaining two themes is much too complicated.
But we didn't just sit on our lazy bums, and instead endeavoured to give players the possibility to modify the interfaces. So it will be possible to change interface colours, textures, and fonts by tweaking CSS files and modifying textures in the appropriate folders.
You'll have to know what you'll be doing, of course, but it will allow you to offer and use new themes made by the players, for the players.
This project is still under scrutiny because it could possibly create security and performance issues, so we need to be very careful.
The installation will only be done within the game, no .exe to install that could hide a phishing attempt or some even less joyous malware. We don't want that in our house.

Anyway, you'll have more detail when this project is over, but in the meantime we're psyched! And don't forget that the interface revamp will not end with the BETA; we're still working on improving the project, still listening to your feedback!

Fury.
Some sort of interface to make theme edits is going to be a must, whether Ankama creates it or allows players to create them. The last thing you want to do is have average player directly editing CSS files as it will end up being a major source of problems in my opinion. There will be plenty of people who will be quite capable of changing the files directly with no issues but for those who are not, they will either need to get themes from other players or use an interface that makes it simple for them to do. I'm all for allowing editable themes I just think you need to be careful how you make if available. I mean you just said maintaining two themes was too complicated for you to do (which I honestly find very hard to believe) so what does that say about allowing the average player to edit their own. Creating a CCS editor specific to your theme style sheets would be a fairly simple task.

This post has been edited by LouCypher - February 20, 2017, 05:17:05.
Subscriber Dragon Pig Pillager
* * * Member Since 2007-12-08
posté September 04, 2016, 01:02:44 | #42
It would be nice to be able to make the spell/item bar longer and have more slots in them. 20 slots aren't enough to hold all class spells of any class plus class special spell and dopple (22), and some newly designed classes need to use all of their spells frequently. Adding more spell bars is an option but takes too much extra space when you just need several new slots.

There are currently 24 launcher buttons such as open guild, items, quests etc. The area with these buttons shows a button to "see more buttons" even when it can display exactly 24 icons. Clicking that "see more" button just shows one icon that could have been displayed in its place.

On a related note, the Team Search icon seems to be gone. Is the feature actually removed because people didn't use it? Are there plans to bring it back with better usability? Or is the icon just omitted?

The AP/MP display are not as prominent as in the old interface, and I think those are very important things people want to know when they hover over another character in fight. Although maybe I just need to get used to the new design.

When moving UI parts it's easy to trigger map changes. Mostly harmless but would be nice if it can be fixed.

This post has been edited by vagabaka - February 20, 2017, 05:17:05.
Subscriber Tofu Stroker
* Member Since 2008-03-26
posté September 20, 2016, 16:52:11 | #43
Regarding the new layout, I must admit I am surprised at the number of bugs and the lack of the beige theme and no tickable chat interface ...so far I would say I am 50/50 on this new format. In our Alliance all that can be heard is the people commenting on the lack of a Beige theme and the much disliked chat format. How players interface with the game is the most important aspect of any game and should be looked into with due consideration before throwing it in the bin.

The black background is VERY hard on the eyes for many people and to hear that Ankama cannot be bothered to maintain the two styles because it is too complicated is not good. Added to this they are encouraging players to hack their CSS files. This alone will cause considerable extra support traffic as players mess up their interface...I personally do not see the logic... unless the designers have fallen out with the Support department and wish them ill?

As for only having one type of chat interface style, to me this appears to be Ankama cutting corners, please allocate a bit more time to re-introducing this. We are at the end of the day paying customers, we don't mind change but throwing out much liked interface content is not on.

I have seen many posts where folks have suggested the map ought to be able to be moved to one side of the screen, thus freeing up a large area to stick all the moveable interface, this idea I believe has much merit and I personally, along with many others would like to see. At the moment this format is not a true 16:9 it is to be honest a bit of a bodge. If you are going to make the game 16:9 with this layout then at least allow us to make the off map area larger at one side, thus making it much more useful.

On a more positive note I am encouraged to see that a considerable amount of work has been done by the designers. with a few tweaks the game may once again be enjoyed by us folks who are more set in our gaming ways and with fading eyesight, without us having to take frequent breaks due to eye strain and frustration with the chat interface.

Tashh (Dark Vlad)
Fairness
Subscriber Tofu Stroker
* Member Since 2009-10-19
posté September 20, 2016, 23:50:35 | #44
I'm playing dofus touch for a day now and I noticed something. The map transition on dofus touch is really smooth. Maybe you guys could do is on PC aswell.It makes the game even better then it already is with the new interface. Looking forward for your thoughts!

-Maitre

Subscriber Arachnophobe
* Member Since 2007-08-17
posté September 21, 2016, 10:42:24 | #45

Quote (vagabaka @ 04 September 2016 01:02) *
It would be nice to be able to make the spell/item bar longer and have more slots in them. 20 slots aren't enough to hold all class spells of any class plus class special spell and dopple (22), and some newly designed classes need to use all of their spells frequently. Adding more spell bars is an option but takes too much extra space when you just need several new slots. (...)

Yes, please !
Almost every window is now extendable - just the spell-bars are fix& limited to 20 slots, please make it as flexible as the others.
This was probably not modified because of the key-bindings. But it could be solved by changing the key-system for the spell-bars & Item-bars.

posté September 21, 2016, 10:59:33 | #46
I was able to access the game earlier (and was cut-off later.... server crash or client crash), anyway in that short time, I was able to create a second item/spell (and third and posible fourth but didn't go that far) bar which I was able to move around anywhere in the screen. That is a total of 60 spell icons (page 1-3 of 20 spells each page) out in the fight screen.

Subscriber Arachnophobe
* Member Since 2007-08-17
posté September 21, 2016, 11:24:43 | #47

Quote (Gunnerwolfang @ 21 September 2016 10:59) *
I was able to access the game earlier (and was cut-off later.... server crash or client crash), anyway in that short time, I was able to create a second item/spell (and third and posible fourth but didn't go that far) bar which I was able to move around anywhere in the screen. That is a total of 60 spell icons (page 1-3 of 20 spells each page) out in the fight screen.

I accidently had these too, but the key-shortcut of every spell was the same: Bar no.2 & no.3 were just mirror-images of the original spell-bar - Sramstyle!

Former Subscriber Tofu Stroker
* Member Since 2013-11-02
posté September 21, 2016, 16:09:34 | #48
Is it possible to revert to the old interface somehow? The new one is almost unplayable for me. There is so much stuff on the screen and everything's so tiny my eyes start to hurt, not to mention it looks kinda... primitive, consisting only of blocky squares. I also don't really get why there are chunks of neighboring maps visible on both sides of the screen now - it's confusing! I spent a while trying to pick up a nettle that turned out to belong to the next map...

Subscriber Larva
* Member Since 2014-03-22
posté September 21, 2016, 17:44:06 | #49
I like the new interface so far, but I was hoping for more customization options for the chat element. What I would love is the possibility to span the chat element over the "useless" left side of the screen (Where we now see the adjacent map in 16:9 mode). If I try to do that at the moment, the chat is still a little (like 1 cm) too wide at its narrowest setting - I can't transition to the map on the left if the chat is there. Please consider making this an option! It would allow for 2-3 times more chat space without compromising any "actual" screen space.

Subscriber Gobball Breeder
* Member Since 2009-05-21
posté September 21, 2016, 18:01:39 | #50
I would like to report an interface issue when you check your mounts in paddock.
When i name my mounts (shed's too small >>) i use their colour and if necessary, some stat. To do this i use 'camelscript' which means i begin every new word with a capital while the rest of the name is in lowercase, like AlmGingPWiseF.

In the new interface update the mount name are in all capitals, which makes it much more difficult to read. Ok, the list of mounts in shed still reflect the different cases but not when you actually click a mount to view stats. I consider this a bug unless someone can tell me why this is, as it lowers usability quite a bit.

Another issue concerns mounts that are in your inventory as certificates. This is not very serious bug but still, as developers you might want to know if you didnt. The level of the mount itself fetches some data from a text about what is not allowed (probably) because when i hover a mount certificate it says 'level: Trading in accounts or subscription' if the mount is lvl 1, 'Phishing' if it's lvl 5, as are most, and 'Disciple of Hecate' when it's lvl 100.

Well aware these things might have been covered before, i hope this will get fixed